3800: Series Two

Quick history. I began building the 3800 MJ in the fall of 2004 as a stock rebuilt 86 jeep comanche. less than a year and a half after completion, I decided on an engine upgrade; a 3.8 camaro v6 from a 96 camaro. netting 205hp and 225 ft lbs of torque I believe, this is quite the upgrade.

everything started going downhill in the fall of 2007, when I blew up the transmission. the AX-5 is not a transmission that can handle that torque, but I had spare trannies so i just replaced it instead of upgrading. since then, I've been through two more of those transmissions and currently have another one going out the door.

at the point that the trannie had blown, I had blown two dana 35's already and had yet one more to blow.

also, in fall 2007 a 16 year old backed out of his parking stall at the waterford high school, taking out the rear quarter panel behind the wheel on the driver's side. I repaired this

in june 2008, i was hit again in the exact same spot. With the right of way, I crossed an intersection, and the guy across the road did also...only he turned left into the rear left quarter of the truck, not two weeks after I had repaired the rear left quarter. not happy...

further...I have spun rod bearings in the engine. time for a rebuild and upgrade ;) jamminz.gif

Now

in the interest of rust prevention, I've begun Series Two of the 3800 MJ project. In this build, I intend on several upgrades and demand absolute perfection. (pictures will be added as stages progress)

Prep Stage: tear down

gut the truck completely. this is an attempt to rival mfpdm's rebuild :brows:

Stage One: rear axle

upgrade to dana 44 rear end with limited slip. I have a problem with dana 35's...they just don't seem to like me enough.

ZJ rear discs

POR15 rear end and springs

Stage Two: body

torn between two projects...either the 2500 front end with 97+ doors and mirrors, or 97+ front end all together. also a tonneau cover, and custom tail lights.

repair cab corners

repair damage to the box

rust has begun

Stage Three: interior and floors

updating interior from black old-school to charcoal/black 97-01 interior

cleaning, prepping, and POR-15-ing the floors. I had done this previously but with undercoat, and had laid down clear plastic to attempt to keep the water off of the floor (this did not work... :roll: )

Stage Four: engine, trans, suspension, and front axle

either rebuilding the current 3800 with a bore and cam, or upgrade to a series 3 supercharged 3800

upgrade to AX-15 manual transmission (acquired already)...this may require me to build a bellhousing. this will be rebuilt...it won't take me long

NP242 part time transfer case (have this too). I will rebuild this as well

rebuild front axle using a new housing...the current one is bent

install a new lift kit; currently thinking a 4" kit from IDK what company, just not Rough Country or Rusty's

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a though. Could you run a GM SM465 with a NP205? Bullet proof set up but unsure of the adaptation.

I'm not too sure. I need a GM 60 degree bellhousing which mates to the AX15. early dakota 4 cylinders have this.

I don't want to stray too far from what I know...i can rebuild the ax15 easily, as I've already done several of it's smaller cousins (ax5). it's a good strong tranny and i know enough about it to be comfortable using it. plus, many jeepers with the 4 cylinders (which also have the gm 60 degree bellhousing) do this upgrade

Just a though. Could you run a GM SM465 with a NP205? Bullet proof set up but unsure of the adaptation.

I'm not too sure. I need a GM 60 degree bellhousing which mates to the AX15. early dakota 4 cylinders have this.

I don't want to stray too far from what I know...i can rebuild the ax15 easily, as I've already done several of it's smaller cousins (ax5). it's a good strong tranny and i know enough about it to be comfortable using it. plus, many jeepers with the 4 cylinders (which also have the gm 60 degree bellhousing) do this upgrade

I thought the bellhousing you have been using would boltup to the ax15.

I'm gonna stay away from the SM465...I want a 5 speed at least, and would honestly love to have an NV 3550 (i think that's it..the newer jeep 6 speed) for the closer gear ratio.

already have the AX15, and it's a proven project that won't cost me much more to install...I actually kind of want to build the bellhousing myself for the simple fact that then I can use all AX5 clutch and slave cylinder parts...what I have currently is brand new.

Sir Sam, I wish you were correct...the current bellhousing is for an AX5 which is almost identical to the AX15 where it bolts on the bellhousing.... except that it's around 2" smaller in rough diameter.

camjeep3...you and me both lol

and Pete, you are correct. do you have a viable solution for me? I don't really want this to be a project where when I'm done I have to do constant up-keep and spot-spraying. the truck won't be driven more than a few thousand miles a year after the project is done...it's become my baby project and will remain with me as long as I can keep it.

Sounds like a great plan Pat. If I ever finish the Wild build and do a second stage to it, I plan on gutting the interior and upgrading to the 97+

Will be watching with great interest. :popcorn:

I'm gonna stay away from the SM465...I want a 5 speed at least, and would honestly love to have an NV 3550 (i think that's it..the newer jeep 6 speed) for the closer gear ratio.

already have the AX15, and it's a proven project that won't cost me much more to install...I actually kind of want to build the bellhousing myself for the simple fact that then I can use all AX5 clutch and slave cylinder parts...what I have currently is brand new.

Sir Sam, I wish you were correct...the current bellhousing is for an AX5 which is almost identical to the AX15 where it bolts on the bellhousing.... except that it's around 2" smaller in rough diameter.

the NV3550 is the 5 speed manual used starting in 2000 in the XJ and TJ and in 2002 for the KJ.

the transmission is the same between the XJ, TJ and Kj, but the bellhousing is different, the 2002 KJ nv3550 has a different bellhousing to mate to the newer moper small block bolt pattern.

the TJ has a different bellhousing.

the bellhousing can be swapped between the NV3550 and the ax15.

in 2005 the KJ got the newer NSG370 tranny which is a mercedes trans, it has an integrated bellhousing, so a NSG370 from a 2005 TJ will not exchange with a 2005 NSG370 from a KJ.

my vote is go with a 1997+ 4l and dash/enterior, as well as 97+_ front end.

Same here.

Does that camera have an auto setting?

Willy

thanks guys

the camera is my cell phone... :eek: but I'm starting a new job here in a couple weeks and the first paycheck will be enough to cover my debts, so by the second one I will buy a new camera.

• 4 weeks later...

$250 for a new crank with new main and rod bearings. i'm thinking of just getting her back to running shape, finishing the floor work, and finishing the cab corners, then letting my dad drive it until his truck is done...his truck won't make it another couple months without the renault 2.1 blowing in it.

• 1 month later...

no pictures, but quick update.

I began removing the bolts holding the box on today. further looking from the accident shows that the bumper mount area is torn a little bit on both ends of the frame as a result for the accident, and the bumper (mounted with 1/4" steel plate) is bent over 2" to the passenger side.

this is going to be alot of work.

dam that sux. lots of work ahead of ya. por 15 will work just fine on those springs. its an epoxy nota ceramic ;)

10-4 and thanks. it's getting the springs from my old '89 that I lifted though, to give it the 4" lift in the back with boomerang shackles. going for a 4.5" lift.

$250 for a new crank with new main and rod bearings. i'm thinking of just getting her back to running shape, finishing the floor work, and finishing the cab corners, then letting my dad drive it until his truck is done...his truck won't make it another couple months without the renault 2.1 blowing in it.

maybe want to swap a cummings 3.9 or the newer 3.3 like someone had a pic of it in a TJ in your spare time

maybe want to swap a cummings 3.9 or the newer 3.3 like someone had a pic of it in a TJ in your spare time

not stock. going for a factory resto-mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post pics when I get a chance, but basically I got the motor out of it today, took the new motor for the 87 off the engine stand, mounted it up, took off all of the accessories, and got the oil pan off.

the number 3 and 4 connecting rods seemed looser than the others, so I popped the caps off. there was also anti-freeze in the intake, which I attribute to the TB gasket (the TB is liquid cooled :nuts: ), and it doesn't appear to have messed up much if anything.

thank god, the bearings haven't spun in ANY of the connecting rods. the number 3 bearing is junk, and the crank would need to be machined in order to be used. so, I have to buy a crankshaft (easier than just having it machined, and new parts are good), but will not have to get any new connecting rods.

the whole rebuild with new rings, crank, timing chain, oil pump, main and con. rod bearings, and gasket set, should only cost $500 roughly. I am gonna completely tear the motor down to a bare block and clear out all of the oil passages, and I will look into cams..it appears to have a comp. cam already.